RE: [SLUG] Regarding tiny systems and serial ports

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 17:45:00 EST

Ian Blenke wrote:

> Com1: IRQ 4 0x3F8 - /dev/ttyS0 (/dev/cua0)
> Com2: IRQ 3 0x2F8 - /dev/ttyS1 (/dev/cua1)
> Com3: IRQ 4 0x3E8 - /dev/ttyS2 (/dev/cua2)
> Com4: IRQ 3 0x2E8 - /dev/ttyS3 (/dev/cua3)

This is somewhat similar to what I see when the system boots, I am
trying to figure out how to get a log out of it, a lot of stuff has
been turned off to keep within memory confines.

> The kernel 2.0+ comm port drivers can share interrupts. AFAIK, there
> is no longer a reason to assign a separate IRQ to each serial port.

Does this hold true for both PCI and the older boards, I was of the
understanding that if the board was ISA that it was still a tricky
situation. This particular board has a ISA 4 port serial card on
it and the card is jumpered for IRQ4,3,5 and 10.

> The tool you would use at a command line is setserial. You may
> override the kernel's autoprobe with a command line option as well,
> for example:
>
> append="serial=0x3f8,4 serial=0x2f8,3"
>
> There is far more information in the Serial HOWTO on the Linux
> Documentation Project:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html

I have tried to get the setserial piece on the disk but it is not
getting included when the whole thing is transfered to ramdisk.

There are to things that happen after the serial port is set up,
so I have to get those irq's sorted out prior to the ports being
configued for the radios that go connected to them.

I tested the append command, it did not complain, but I do not
know if it did anything as the ports do not appear to be active
yet.

I have used setserial many times seems it goes in a file called
serial.rc, but again this floppy did not have the file that handles
it on it.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com