Re: [SLUG] Building small systems.

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 00:31:43 EST

> Folks,
> I am getting into a area that I have not really started to
> deal with yet. Since most distros hand hold you from start to end
> and even in the past it was just a question of answering more
> questions, installs have never really been that big of a deal
> for me.
>
> Now I want to learn how to do the following,
>
> Build up small systems for use on older machines, I need to learn
> how to do the following:
>
> 1. Compile and run a kernel for a small simple machine.
> 2. Learn how to build up a kernel that will do like many of
> the floppy based linux systems will do (appear to run
> on about anything from the toilet up)

The Linux from Scratch (www.linuxfromscratch.org) site is a good place to
start. There's also a HOWTO for low memory systems. Much of it is out-of-date,
but it has some useful guidelines nonetheless.

This page has some useful links:
http://users.aol.com/jkaplenk/linux/minimal.html
Some links are dead, unfortunately.

> I have looked at how to compile kernels and how to set up systems,
> but not sure if there is just too much stuff that I am digging
> through or what. I would just initially like to be able to put
> a small system on a CD that I could then put in a machine and
> transfer it to a smaller HD.

This link has some information on creating a "live CD" a la Knoppix.

It worked for me and allowed me to build a rescue disk specific to my laptop.

> Here is the reason why, here in Florida amateur radio operators
> have a network of switchs, they presently run on dos based software
> but we want to move them to the newer linux based software. I have
> a floppy version of it that will run so far on anything but a old
> 8086 I have B-> I am sure it probably will not run on a 286 either
> but I do not think that is a problem, I know it will run on 486's
> and probably 386's.
>
> My idea is to first learn how to put linux on a small HD like
> the ones that are out on the machines that are in service. Then
> start adding the networking stuff, I think once I learn how to set
> up the base system the rest of it will be easy.
>
> My final question is where is the best place to go to find out
> how to do this without having to dig through tons of other stuff?
> Most of the sites I see are more inclined to helping you set up
> a desktop or some other larger system, rather than dig down and
> create a small system that can be loaded on a older machine without
> having the replace the thing (amateur radio operators are cheap)

Check out the sites for embedded systems. They are much smaller than many
complete distros that claim to be slim. If you look at the "Busybox" site
(search Google) you'll also find lots of information on creating minimal
distros.

> What I want to put together is something that is as omnivororus
> as the little floppy I have, but can be loaded on a HD.
>
> I need the proper steps to start learning this process, what hardware
> do I need, how do I go about building the package of kernel and
> other software needed to make a small linux system run?
>
> What distro do you recommend (seems I see a lot to recommend Debian
> for such things)

A "distro" might not be what you need for such a system. I'd suggest starting
with something like a rescue environment such as Tom's Root Boot and then
customizing it to your needs. Unfortunately, modern kernels will almost
certainly not fit on a floppy so you'd likely need to use a 2.2 or even 2.0
kernel. Yes, 2.4 can fit, but it might be close to useful for many machines.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com