[SLUG] Building small systems.

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 22:46:47 EST

Folks,
I am getting into a area that I have not really started to
deal with yet. Since most distros hand hold you from start to end
and even in the past it was just a question of answering more
questions, installs have never really been that big of a deal
for me.

Now I want to learn how to do the following,

Build up small systems for use on older machines, I need to learn
how to do the following:

1. Compile and run a kernel for a small simple machine.
2. Learn how to build up a kernel that will do like many of
        the floppy based linux systems will do (appear to run
        on about anything from the toilet up)

I have looked at how to compile kernels and how to set up systems,
but not sure if there is just too much stuff that I am digging
through or what. I would just initially like to be able to put
a small system on a CD that I could then put in a machine and
transfer it to a smaller HD.

Here is the reason why, here in Florida amateur radio operators
have a network of switchs, they presently run on dos based software
but we want to move them to the newer linux based software. I have
a floppy version of it that will run so far on anything but a old
8086 I have B-> I am sure it probably will not run on a 286 either
but I do not think that is a problem, I know it will run on 486's
and probably 386's.

My idea is to first learn how to put linux on a small HD like
the ones that are out on the machines that are in service. Then
start adding the networking stuff, I think once I learn how to set
up the base system the rest of it will be easy.

My final question is where is the best place to go to find out
how to do this without having to dig through tons of other stuff?
Most of the sites I see are more inclined to helping you set up
a desktop or some other larger system, rather than dig down and
create a small system that can be loaded on a older machine without
having the replace the thing (amateur radio operators are cheap)

What I want to put together is something that is as omnivororus
as the little floppy I have, but can be loaded on a HD.

I need the proper steps to start learning this process, what hardware
do I need, how do I go about building the package of kernel and
other software needed to make a small linux system run?

What distro do you recommend (seems I see a lot to recommend Debian
for such things)

I am just trying to figure out where to start.

Chuck Hast
Telecomms Consultant, Utility Partners.
WEB www.utilpart.com
Office number: 813.282.8828 x 1175
C-phone number: 813.765.6743
E-mail: wchast@utilpart.com
SMS < 150 characters: 8137656743@mobile.att.net
ARS KP4DJT

To paraphrase my flight instructor;
"the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going out
and
having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn and twisted
metal."

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com