RE: [SLUG] Linux and GIS

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 20:39:03 EST

Hey Bob,
My wife is currently enrolled in the "Geography" program at USF and uses
"ESRI", in a Microsoft environment, which seems to be the industry standard.
Poking around the www.esri.com site, I was curious, looking for
Linux/cluster environment to support the GIS. I found this white paper
http://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/using-gis-linux.pdf . My wife
says that the MS version of Esri runs about $1000 and the data you can
scrounge up for free. If you are a student, the sw runs $100/year or $250
for a permanent license. She says that the version she uses (MS) is VB
based. Definately check out the paper,which has some good 411. Might want
to e-mail their technical support, as a "perspective" customer.
Cheers,
        Pete