Re: [SLUG] *really* killing a process

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 11:44:41 EST

On Thursday 11 March 2004 1:06 pm, you wrote:
> > If you did a 'ps -ef', it would show that bash was started by an xterm,
> > which in turn was started by the window manager:

...but for zombified processes, they are now owned by process "1" (init), and
I can't kill that parent. Here's my ps -f output

ericlinuxbox1:~ # ps -f 2230
UID PID PPID C STIME TTY STAT TIME CMD
root 2230 1 0 10:53 tty5 S 0:00 /sbin/mingetty tty5

Sow do you kill this process (PID 2230)? It keep coming back after restarting
the computer also, which means the daemon is restarting it???, but why not
show the daemon is the parent? Confused...