Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] local mail filtering

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 10:23:31 EST

On Mar 17, 2004, at 7:33 AM, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:

> Hi All and Paul
>
> For the last week I have received responses and postings from the SLUG
> BB that
> have the heading {SPSM?} instead of [SLUG] as noted below.
>
> As received:
> Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] local mail filtering
>
> To quote Bugs Bunny "What is up doc?"

there (read: spammers) all the mail goes through a spam filter (using
spamassassin and other stuff) regardless of where it's coming from,
going to, thinking about, whatever. Since it's a list, none of the
mail is getting right-out filtered (i.e. tossed) but it will get tagged
if spamassassin thinks it's spam. You can look at the raw headers to
see the rules that triggered spamassassin into thinking any particular
message was spam. Probably it's based on some keywords that
spamassassin's bayes filter has learned based on other emails that
really were spam. Also, only the first message in a thread may think
it's spam, but when people respond to it, the {SPAM?} gets left in the
subject line and you'll continue to see it.

in short: it's good for you! see www.spamassassin.org and eat up!

"We all enter this world in the | Support Electronic Freedom
same way: naked; screaming; soaked | http://www.eff.org/
in blood. But if you live your | http://www.anti-dmca.org/
life right, that kind of thing |---------------------------
doesn't have to stop there." -- Dana Gould