RE: [SLUG] RH9 on Toshiba Tecra 8000

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 10:13:44 EST

Steve wrote:

> On Thursday 18 March 2004 11:05 pm, wchast@utilpart.com wrote:
>> I get a error message that it can not find the sound card. I have
>> tried the different tools that are on the RH 9 distro but to no
>> avail.
>>
>> I have also tried to run the Knoppix and MEPIS demo disk on it,
>> get the same results, anyone know what the work around is?
>
> You need to start with identifying the card. What I usually do is
> search for other people who have installed on that hardware. Search
> Google for Linux and Toshiba Tecra 8000.
>
>> Chuck Hast
>> Telecomms Consultant, Utility Partners.
>> WEB www.utilpart.com
>> Office number: 813.282.8828 x 1175
>> C-phone number: 813.765.6743
>> E-mail: wchast@utilpart.com
>> SMS < 150 characters: 8137656743@mobile.att.net
>> ARS KP4DJT
>>
>> To paraphrase my flight instructor;
>> "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my
>> going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst
>> of torn
>> and twisted metal."

>> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
>> are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
>> it is addressed. If you have received this transmission in error,
>> please notify the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you
>> may have printed and remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard
>> drive. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
>> that do not relate to the official business of Utility Partners, Inc
>> shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
>
> I always get a chuckle out these confidentiality notices. If it's
> confidential, what is it doing traversing in clear text across the
> Internet? All I have to do is to have accounts with various ISP's and
> I can record email passing by all day long. I did it to a business
> owner who did not believe me. When I told him his login and password
> he went white.
>
>> Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com

Steve,
It is a card type Yamaha Opl3Sa2
These are the settings in the bios
WSS I/0 Address =530H
SBPro I/O Address =220H
Synthesizer I/O address =388H
WSS & SBPro & MPU401 IRQ Level
                                =IRQ5
WSS(Play) DMA =Channel 1
WSS(Rec.) & SBPro DMA =Channel 0
Control I/O Address =538H
MPU401 (MIDI I/F) =330H

The last two entries can not be modified at least when I try to do so.
The only one that appears to be different from the entries I see on
various bits and pieces out there is the Control I/O

Here is what I have seen
    IRQ: 5
    I/O: 0x530
    DMA1: 1
    DMA2: 0
    MPU: 0x330
    Control: 0x370
It is the last two I can not change in the bios, but only the last one
is different.

I also find that there is no sndconfig in RH 9 or it did not install it
or the command has been changed.

Chuck Hast