Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} soft RAID1 woes

From: Andrew M. Hoerter (amh@POBOX.COM)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 17:55:28 EST

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> [snip summary of MD creation steps]
> - From there, RAID1 mounting craps out upon bootup.

Okay, so it works when you do things manually; at least the basics should
be correct then.

Referring back to the software RAID HOWTO that you mentioned, the section
on autodetection (7.2) might be relevant here. My recollection is that if
you don't do autodetection, you need some startup script magic to ready
the md devices before they can be used. So either you need to verify that
autodetection is working, or start things up manually in your rc scripts.
Perhaps you could mail a copy of your kernel message buffer during bootup
so that we can see what the md driver is saying?

Getting a root-on-RAID setup to work has its own pitfalls, I'd recommend
staying away from that entirely until you get the simpler case working.