Re: [SLUG] amount of allocated memory that's swapped out

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 17:15:28 EST

> Is that in units of 4k pages/sec, or kB/s, or pages/(vmstat refresh
> period) or what?

Whichever you want. J/K... I used to think it was 4k pages per interval, but it's really kB/sec per interval.

> http://24.94.123.66:81/graph.pnm

Just to make sure I understand, this is your vmware resident size at
various times of the week? It varies quite a lot! Is that because either your W2K VM was not always "on" or your VMware process was stopped and started? Or are the differences balanced by swap? Or does the ammount of memory VMware has allocated at one time really go all over the map like that when running a VM?

> Looks like I can reduce VMware's memory allocation to about 500M
> (450 if I can tolerate some swapping), and I need some more RAM.
> I think reducing it will reduce VMware's misconception, thinking
> what is 'real' RAM is in fact swapped out by the host. Instead, it
> would swap it out itself, and _know_ that it is swapped out.

Well, after you've cut the blatant excess from the VM size, going too far and relying on a lot of W2K swapping WILL be more expensive than linux/VMware swapping, so you have a fine line to tread in order to minimize VMware swapping and W2K swapping. Don't go too extreme :), W2K will thrash hard.

Good luck,
~ Daniel

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!