Re: [SLUG] amount of allocated memory that's swapped out

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 23:00:05 EST

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Backward Thinker wrote:

> > Is that in units of 4k pages/sec, or kB/s, or pages/(vmstat refresh
> > period) or what?
>
> Whichever you want. J/K... I used to think it was 4k pages per
> interval, but it's really kB/sec per interval.

Noted.

> > http://24.94.123.66:81/graph.pnm
>
> Just to make sure I understand, this is your vmware resident size at
> various times of the week? It varies quite a lot!

Yeah, I measured it before and after I did something (during the "do
something" it would swap in as required).

> Is that because either your W2K VM was not always "on" or your VMware
> process was stopped and started?

VMware was not stopped, and W2K was not rebooted.

> Or are the differences balanced by swap?

Not totally. W2K does vary its memory allocation over time.

> Or does the ammount of memory VMware has allocated at one time really
> go all over the map like that when running a VM?

You see the effects of starting and stopping Excel, and of paging forced
by my backup process (duplicating a 120 GB disk, basically, so that would
flush out the disk cache) and normal system use.

> > Looks like I can reduce VMware's memory allocation to about 500M
> > (450 if I can tolerate some swapping), and I need some more RAM.

> Well, after you've cut the blatant excess from the VM size, going too
> far and relying on a lot of W2K swapping WILL be more expensive than
> linux/VMware swapping, so you have a fine line to tread in order to
> minimize VMware swapping and W2K swapping. Don't go too extreme :), W2K
> will thrash hard.

Yes, I need to get more RAM... probably 1 GB total or so (I have 768M).
But I'm just trying to get VMware more usable until I do that.

Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your electronic
communication?  Consider this: A: No
                               Q: Can I top post? from nick@xx.co.uk