RE: [SLUG] Cursor moves on its own

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 00:31:09 EST

Doug Koobs wrote:
> Steven Buehler wrote:
>
>> I had the same issue with the trackpoint (I believe that's the name
>> IBM used for it) and it was a driver change that fixed it.
>>
>> SWB

The satellites and Tecras both have this problem. I have a Tecra here
in front of me that will set there and send the cursor all over the
screen under both Linux and that other OS. As soon as I plug in a
external pointing device it goes away. I have opened them up cleaned
the connectors and reseated them, that always took care of the problem.

I have to open this Tecra, just been lazy that is all. I also have a
HP that has started doing this very same thing, and I know it is
contacts because I can tap the case and it jumps even worse.

By way the other OS if you have a GPS plugged into the serial port will
think it is a pointing device and start trying to read it and you will
get the same effect, the cursor jumps all over the place. The fix is
to go in and remove the MS mouse that it thinks it is looking at, or
plug in or turn on your GPS AFTER you have booted the other OS.

Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;
and twisted metal."

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com