Re: [SLUG] Linux and 802.11g cards

From: Rob Roberson (rob@bluedragonstudio.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 10:09:50 EST

Doug Koobs wrote:

> ...I haven't figured out which PCMCIA wireless NIC to get yet. I
> haven't found any cards that have vendor support.

Doug -

The linux kernel supports many wifi pcmcia cards natively. I've used
the Cisco Aironet 350 extensively on Linux, with great results. In most
cases you won't even need to recompile from a stock kernel as all of the
pcmcia net drivers are usually compiled as modules. To see which ones
are already compiled as modules try this:

# ls /lib/modules/'uname -r'/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia

3c574_cs.o.gz aironet4500_cs.o.gz com20020_cs.o.gz ibmtr_cs.o.gz
nmclan_cs.o.gz ray_cs.o.gz wavelan_cs.o.gz xircom_cb.o.gz
3c589_cs.o.gz axnet_cs.o.gz fmvj18x_cs.o.gz netwave_cs.o.gz
pcnet_cs.o.gz smc91c92_cs.o.gz xirc2ps_cs.o.gz xircom_tulip_cb.o.gz

Then, you can get more info about each driver (at least, I can on my
Slackware system) my getting the manual for any driver listed:

# man wavelan

If you select a card from one that is supported in the kernel, you don't
even need to download a driver!

~Rob