Re: [SLUG] Print to file

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 08:54:45 EST

> Sorry the issue is not clear to me.
>
> The basic issue is that I have 640 MD of with 778,364 entries of 10 year old
> text data stores in a .nfo files which is not a text file and can not be
> opened in usable format as text nor did 18 hours of OO conversion open the
> file. A text editor opens it in seconds but gives garbage.

Do you know the format of the data file? What program created it? Have you
tried using a hex editor to see how the data is stored? You may be able to
spot a delimiter that will allow you to modify the format.

> Of the 778,364 entries only approximate 17,000 are of immediate interest so
> there is immediately a big reduction in the quantity of data.

If the file is fairly homegenous throughout, can you send a sample of the area
of interest?

> Now this data can be converted to a windows .prn file and saved to disk or it
> can be transfered directly to file at 200 entries per file which for the
> 17,000 entries means 90 files. Reassembly is easy; editing is a bitch as the
> data format is not consistant.
>
> Transferring the data directly was the first course of action but then I found
> that what appeared on the screen is not what is transferred critical
> components are left out while what prints is what is on the screen. Entering
> the missing data by hand is impossible. I calculated about 2 months of work
> for data entry alone not including other modifications required for usage.
>
> So the initial idea when I made the original post was to install a printer
> which was in effect a program that would automatically convert the data data
> to text. Well if such program exist it will have to be installed on my
> computer not on the office computer. Now since my computer is a dual boot
> then that opens a few other possibilities.

If you define an ASCII printer you should be able to get a fairly generic
output form the PRN file. Also, you can try defining a serial ASCII printer
then using minicom on the other end of the serial link to capture the data.
But this assumes that you have the program that created the data available.

* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com