{SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Linux and 802.11g cards

From: Kat (g33k1ss3xy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 18:15:06 EST

This discussion has prompted me to do a little
homework.. I am also trying to set up a wireless card,
without much success so far. I have a Netgear WG511
card which is supposed to be fairly easy to set up
with a few downloaded files and a little kernel
recompilation, however every instruction how-to I have
run across has been different, which is quite
confusing for a new linux user. It has been a great
learning opportunity but is frustrating at the same
time. Back to the point of discussion- security. After
reading several articles about this subject, it seems
that my only real option if I am paranoid (which I'm
not, really) or if I access hot spots (which I don't)
would be a VPN - something like this
http://www.hotspotvpn.com/faq.asp?mm=2
I would be willing to pay $8.88/month if I was as
concerned about it as you are, Steve.
However, I haven't seen any chalk markings in front of
my house yet, or anyone parked outside with a laptop,
but if I do, you can bet I will be signing up. So the
question I suppose would be, what
level do I need? just a network ID to prevent my
neighbor from accidentally barging in? WEP? AES? VPN?
Do I really need any of it? What if I just could
somehow make the range not extend past the outside
walls of my house? Or I could do what Logan does
(whose reponse cracked me up) if I could figure out
how. One step at a time, I suppose.

To quote Jean Tourrilhes (wireless LAN how-to) "it's
much more likely that you will get hacked from the
Internet or that somebody will tap your phone line at
the back of your house"

p.s. this is my first post to the list so don't scare
me off by flaming me, please. thanks!
-Kathryn

oh, and that Revolution OS movie was both hilarious
and inspiring, thank you for showing it at the St Pete
meeting