Re: [SLUG] A question of databases

From: Steven Buehler (steven@sanctuaryweb.org)
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 11:53:37 EDT

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 11:06 am, Derek Glidden wrote:
> MySQL's mission has always been "speed over functionality. If we have
> to compromise speed for a function, we probably won't implement it."
> At least until recently. I'm not sure if they're still trying to
> follow that goal or if they have gone the way of wanting to be a more
> complete database as opposed to just plain fast.

I've been pretty happy with MySQL on my little test server, which is a Pentium
II MMX/233 laptop with 96 MB RAM running Mandrake 10; I've been running it
with pretty good speed for a while. I like to run stuff on it before I make
it live on the "big server" at WebIntellects. Also, a lot of the instructions
for content management engines are intended for MySQL so I've stuck with it.
Mandrake, however, installs PostgreSQL by default so I have to urpmi the
MySQL packages.