Re: [SLUG] Dunedin

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 17:34:20 EDT

On Friday 09 April 2004 04:35 pm, Michael Adams wrote:
> I used that program when I was running Windows, and it was Great...
>
> I tried to install with Linux, but again I am not Linux enough.
>
> Perhaps you could show me how to set it up.
>
> Again thanks in advance

OK, I'll show you in general over view what I did. You will need to read the
instructions to install it but this should help you over the main question
I had.

I used this documentation:

POP3 Proxy
- ----------

You need to configure your email client to talk to the proxies instead of
the real email servers. Change your equivalent of "pop3.example.com" to
"localhost" (or to the name of the machine you're running the proxy on) in
your email client's setup, and do the same with your equivalent of
"smtp.example.com".

Now launch SpamBayes, by running "pop3proxy_service.py install"
and then "sb_server.py" script.

All you need to do to configure SpamBayes is to open a web page to
<http://localhost:8880>, click on the "Configuration" link at the top
right, and fill in the relevant details. Everything should be OK with the
defaults, except for the POP3 and SMTP server information at the top, which
is required. Note that *nix users may not have permission to bind ports
lower than 1025, so instead of proxying on ports 25 and 110, you should
chose higher numbers, such as 1025 and 1110.

When you check your mail in your mail client now, messages should have an
addition SpamBayes header (you may not be able to see this by default).
You should be able to create a mail folder called "Spam" and set up a
filtering rule that puts emails with an "X-Spambayes-Classification: spam"
header into that folder.

Note that if you set your mail client to delete the mail without
downloading the whole message (like Outlook Express's "delete from server"
rule) that you may not get accurate results - the classification will
be based on the headers only, not the body. This is not recommended.

Then I use this startscript:

[root@ws11 root]# cat /etc/init.d/spambayes
#!/bin/bash
#
# spambayes: Starts the spam filter as a pop3 proxy
#
# Version: @(#) /etc/init.d/spambayes 1.0
#
# chkconfig: - 95 21
# spambayes pop3 proxy
# processname: sb_server.py
#
# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

SBPROXY=/usr/bin/sb_server.py
SBLOG=/var/log/spam.log
SBDIR=/etc/spamd

[ -x $SBPROXY ] || exit 0

RETVAL=0

start () {
    date >> $SBLOG
    echo -n "Starting SpamBayes POP3 proxy: "
    if [ ! -d $SBDIR ] ; then
      echo "Repertoire $SBDIR non present" >> $SBLOG
      RETVAL=1
    else
      cd $SBDIR
      ($SBPROXY 2>&1 >> $SBLOG) &
      RETVAL=$?
    fi
    action "" [ $RETVAL = 0 ]
    return $RETVAL
}

stop () {
    # stop daemon
    date >> $SBLOG
    echo -n "Stopping SpamBayes POP3 proxy: "
    killproc $SBPROXY 1
    RETVAL=$?
    echo
      [ $RETVAL = 0 ]
    return $RETVAL
}

restart () {
    stop
    start
    RETVAL=$?
    return $RETVAL
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
    start)
        start
        ;;
    stop)
        stop
        ;;
    status)
        status $SBPROXY
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
    restart)
        restart
        ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
        RETVAL=1
esac

exit $RETVAL

And start it in rc5.d with a symbolic link
S90spambayes

- --
Steve

neither liberty nor safety."