RE: [SLUG] A question of databases

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 17:52:31 EDT

Ronan Heffernan wrote:

> GRASS does read shape files, but it tends to be pretty ugly (vector
> representation with poor control over overlapping labels and such).
> It would be much more user-friendly to have a Rand McNally map with
> an 'X' on it. Licensing the map shouldn't be an issue as long as you
> buy one paper map for each GRASS computer.

Are there other file formats that it handles better?

> I worked with GRASS and TIGER data ~4 years ago, when I moonlighted
> for a wireless (802.11b) ISP. We wanted to map our signal strength
> over all of Pinellas county. So I downloaded the TIGER data for
> Pinellas County, and wrote a script to read signal strength from
> /proc/sys/net/aironet and GPS coordinates from an RS-232 Garmin and
> write one record every minute or so (tunable) into a Postgres
> database. The plan was to have someone drive a laptop all around
> Pinellas and then to shove the data into GRASS later. The company
> folded before the driving part could be performed, but the GRASS
> experience lingers.

The tool I use at work does a similar job, presently it dumps the
data into a flat file, but the next step is to allow it to dump the
data into a database. What I will have in the "can you hear me now
vehicle" is a db that has several machines talking to it, each one
of them is doing "can you hear me now" on a network under test. We
do one more think beyond the usual measure signal level, and other
enviro data, we also send a short message (length is set prior to
starting the test, it is usually about 100 bytes, as that is the
average message size of our application) and measure round trip time
we time stamp when it arrives at the server and also when it returns
so if we want to see where the latency is, either talk out or talk
back we just have to compare the field test file with the server file.

We can capture data on 802.11 networks, CDPD, CDMA, GSM/GPRS, iDEN
(NexTel)RD-Lap DataRadio, MobiTex, and MA/Com EDACS. There are some
others that are even more obscure, and if we are asked to do a new one
all we need is the interface data on the mobile unit and we will do
a new set of drivers if need be.

This page will show you some data we gathered on the CDPD network in
the Bronx.
http://www.utilpart.com/id117.htm

Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;
and twisted metal."

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com