Re: [SLUG] Hardware firewall

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Apr 09 2004 - 22:29:54 EDT

On Friday 09 April 2004 07:28 pm, Scotty Logan wrote:
> I'm not going to take sides on the whole MS Office vs Open Office
> argument. I'm just going to whine about people misusing terms.

Oh, stop bitching!

Sorry, could not resist... (Hmm, this is starting to sound like a soap. How
about The Young And Thoughtless)

Actually it's quite hard to tell what is the emotional tone intended in a
short line like the one above. Is it anger? Resentment? Or tongue in cheek?
In my case I tend to throw one liners at email when I see something I can
take out of context and make fun with.

> On Apr 9, 2004, at 1:49 PM, Steven Buehler wrote:
> > [costs of various MS products deleted]
> > And Micro$chmuck thinks they have a better ROI? Which is better ROI --
> > $1,088
> > (which would be the cost of the above plus 7% Sales Tax) or $45?

I just grabbed the number out of the air as when I thought the CD cost me.

> You're comparing purchase costs, not Return on Investment (ROI). ROI
> is much more complex than just the purchase cost.

I think some of us, Steve and Steve, was comparing both.

> ROI is an estimate of the savings, or additional income, that will be
> derived over a particular period of time by investing in a new widget;
> or, looking backwards, it can be the actual savings or additional
> income derived from a prior investment. If you're estimating ROI, you
> pick a timeframe, and add up all the savings or increased income you
> expect from deploying the new widget, then subtract all the costs
> associated with purchasing and deploying that widget (purchase,
> maintenance, internal support, training, for the widget and any
> supporting widgets). At the end, you should have a positive number.
> You can do the same calculation for multiple widgets, then choose the
> widget with the highest return.
>
> Comparing purchase costs is also not the same as calculating TCO (Total
> Cost of Ownership), which again includes all the associated costs.

Ouch! Running up a bill there. : )

> Scotty

- --
Steve