Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Install fest at next Sarasota Meeting?

From: Max F Lang (mflang@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 13:42:18 EDT

On Saturday 10 April 2004 06:47, Joe Brandt wrote:
> > hardware modem than dicking around with it. You can buy an
> > external modem for a desktop or a PCMCIA modem for a laptop for
> When was the last time you bought a Hardware modem? I bought one
> with an Intel chip {563EP chipset} that said hardware modem, but

Unless your time is worth nothing, the modem you bought is exactly
the reason to buy an external USRobotics/3Com Sportster modem. It
/is/ a honest, no-bullsh*t, old-fashioned hardware modem. It uses
the serial chipset (UART) that's a part of practically every mobo
built, not some "driver". And it /always/ works!
Yes, you have to have a modem cable, and yes, there's a wallwart to
plug in. A couple minutes trouble, and you know your modem will
function. No guesswork, no fuss, no muss. You even get
blinkenlights to let you know how it's doing, and if there's a
problem with the line, just flip the its power switch.

JMNSHO...