RE: [SLUG] Samba help for Linux Newbee

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 16:13:07 EDT

> No Unix on this network, just one W2k and one SuSE Linix box behind a DHCP
> Router.
>
> I ran smbpasswd and tested it with "smbclient //TUX400/ken -U ken%password".
> Worked fine, I can see all my files. So I figured I'm close, yet at the W2K
> box, the user "ken" cannot get authorized. I assumed the share "smb-share"
> should be browsable by any account. Gotta be missing some small detail...

Did you test on the local box or across the network? I'm trying to check if
IPTABLES will pass the login but deny actual access. If you want to give it a
shot, try shutting down the Linux iptables (if it's running) temporarily then
try connecting again:

 /sbin/service iptables stop

(not sure of the SuSE equivalent, but it'll be similar)

Also, Win2K will pass the currently logged in user. Generally you should match
the Windows login with the samba login. Try using "Connect as" instead if it
doesn't prompt for a password. If you have the Win2K set up for domain
authentication as its own client (I think this is possible) you may have to
modify a couple other things.

> BTW, what's your suggestion for a text editor that will let me edit as SU?
> I'm currently using vi because I haven't figured out how to use any other
> editor when I'm using my regular account and need to edit smb.config. Bill
> Joy once said about vi - "If I had known how popular it would become, I
> never would have created it."

I'm not sure what you're asking here? You should still have access to the same
utilities and editors when you su over to root. It may be some sort of X11
authorization issue. If this is the case, try:

 (as normal user)
 xhost + localhost
 su
 (enter root password)