RE: [SLUG] Samba help for Linux Newbee

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Apr 10 2004 - 15:52:55 EDT

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> > BTW, what's your suggestion for a text editor that will let me edit as SU?
> > I'm currently using vi because I haven't figured out how to use any other
> > editor when I'm using my regular account and need to edit smb.config. Bill
> > Joy once said about vi - "If I had known how popular it would become, I
> > never would have created it."
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking here? You should still have access to the same
> utilities and editors when you su over to root. It may be some sort of X11
> authorization issue.

Could be that, but I'd guess the editors in question aren't in root's
$PATH (/usr/local/bin/ or whatever). You can always invoke whatever
editor you like by doing something like

First, as yourself, you do:

type baz

(if you like the editor "baz") That'll return something like

baz is /foo/bar/bin/baz

Then, as root,

/foo/bar/bin/baz

or

PATH="$PATH:/foo/bar/bin" baz

or

PATH="$PATH:/foo/bar/bin" ; export PATH; baz

As a long-term fix, add "/foo/bar/bin" to root's $PATH in /etc/profile or
/root/.profile.

Oh, and using "su - root" may make this problem go away, too.

   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
                                                 -- Oliver Cromwell