[SLUG] Odd GUI behavior

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 13:10:11 EDT

This is the weirdest thing...

I was having odd problems with certain GUI apps, particularly GTK and Java
ones - things like a textbox not being able to get focus (but the one
right next to it could), or a whole window refusing to display itself,
although the programs ran as usual with no error messages.

I was thinking that it was a focus issue with my window manager (E), so I
monkeyed with setting for a long time. Finally, I straced one of the
programs that was refusing to display a window, and behold, it was
blocking on a connection to 127.0.0.1, port 38086! (Which I guess is just
an X11 connection on some random high port?) So, I look at the output of
ifconfig, and there's no loopback! I bring up the loopback interface, and
all my mysterious quirks go away. (My fault for using the experimental
Sarge installer.)

Dunno why I'm posting this to the list, maybe it'll be informational to
somebody.

Levi