Re: [SLUG] Odd GUI behavior

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 14:29:13 EDT

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Levi Bard wrote:

> This is the weirdest thing...
>
> I was having odd problems with certain GUI apps, particularly GTK and Java
> ones - things like a textbox not being able to get focus (but the one
> right next to it could), or a whole window refusing to display itself,
> although the programs ran as usual with no error messages.
>
> I was thinking that it was a focus issue with my window manager (E), so I
> monkeyed with setting for a long time. Finally, I straced one of the
> programs that was refusing to display a window, and behold, it was
> blocking on a connection to 127.0.0.1, port 38086! (Which I guess is just
> an X11 connection on some random high port?)

Can you disable lo0, start the app, see where it's connecting, and use
netstat -p to find out what's on that port?

> So, I look at the output of ifconfig, and there's no loopback! I bring
> up the loopback interface, and all my mysterious quirks go away.

So if it can't connect directly (sorta using $DISPLAY), it goes
through TCP/IP (sorta using $HOSTDISPLAY)?

> Dunno why I'm posting this to the list, maybe it'll be informational to
> somebody.

You might also want to post it, not "x-no-archive"d, on some
comp.os.linux.* newsgroup.

Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky about who it makes friends with.