Re: [SLUG] automating bash password entry

From: Backward Thinker (backwardthinker@juno.com)
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 16:56:08 EDT

> restart command, but when I run the script, of course it asks for the
> user password at each machine. after the password is entered, it
> runs the rest of the script (i.e. the shutdown command) in the
> background and proceeds to ask me for each and every password down
> the line. is there a way to enter the password once at the
> beginning and store it as a response to the rest of the machines?
> or just store it period and I'll give the script root only
> privileges. it's lousy having to enter 50 of the same password.

Use ssh protocol 2 keys; no password entry req'd... it really just
takes a key gen, copy the public key over, and connect once to make
sure the computers are on the known hosts list. Once you set it up,
it really is cool and fast and easy and you'll be glad you did. If
you feel really brave you can even eliminate root passwd on the other
machines, but of course I would not recommend that except for special
cases :).

~ Daniel

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!