Re: {SPAM?} Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Lindows?

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 17:50:56 EDT

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

> this is a service that is going to be *very big* in Linux, and one
> that Novell and other biggies are going to have a lot of trouble
> providing at a reasonable cost. Even Xandros had trouble the one time
> they tried a 100+ desktop corporate conversion. The way to do it
> successfully is to combine the talents of the local
> close-to-the-company IT consultant with a small distro publisher's
> development talent. Xandros tried to do it as a "parachute in" thing
> without knowing enough about the customer's's needs....

I've been long of the opinion that software in general is going to have
to go that way -- small vendors working with corporate admins or
consultants to produce tailored software, with a freely-available (open
source, most likely) basic architecture on which to draw. If it
doesn't, we'll end up with stagnation and security nightmares on a
planet-wide scale as ease of quick communication increases.

> It's possible. Or I might be the Roblimo who does the Slashdot
> interviews. Or the Robin Miller who lives in a doublewide in Bradenton
> and has a small sailboat. You never know who you'll run into on thse
> LUG email lists.

Nice to meet you. I recently read the "Linux for Poets" interview and
enjoyed it quite a bit. Assuming that's you . . . good work.

--
Chad Perrin