[SLUG] Fw: [SCAD] Hacker took over control of a Russian gas SCAD system?

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 13:55:01 EDT

This is scary.

If you can control gas flow you can cause flow hammer which will tare a pipe
line completely apart.

Frank

See end of posting for report.

On Sunday 02 May 2004 09:56, John Saunders wrote:
> MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
>

> MOSCOW, April 26 - Gazprom, Russia's huge gas monopoly, MOSCOW, April 26 -
> Gazprom, Russia's huge gas monopoly was one of a growing number of targets
> hit last year by computer hackers, who controlled the company's gas flows
> for a short time, a law enforcement official said Wednesday. ACTING with a
> Gazprom insider, hackers were able to get past the company's security and
> break into the system controlling gas flows in pipelines, Interior
> Ministry Col. Konstantin Machabeli said, according to the Interfax news
> agency. The central switchboard of gas flows was "for some time" under the
> control of external users, Machabeli said in the report.
>
> http://gtiservices.org/security/riskassess/gazprom_attack_04261999.doc This
> report no longer seems to be online, but you might contact Bill Rush at
> GTI/AGA to get a copy.
>
> John Saunders

>-----
>

> http://gtiservices.org/security/riskassess/gazprom_attack_04261999.doc-----

He did not say if the hackers caused any damage. Officials at
Gazprom, Russia's single largest source of tax revenue, could not
be reached for comment.

Gazprom is the world's largest natural gas producer and the
largest gas supplier to Western Europe. The company, Russia's
biggest, is 38 percent state-owned. It supplies about 95 percent
of Russia's natural gas and is estimated to control about a
quarter of global natural gas resources, delivering its products
to 25 countries. It has about 278,000 employees and earned about
$9 billion in export earnings last year, though it has a largely
dilapidated infrustructure in dire need of repair.

Machabeli said the hackers used a "Trojan horse" program, which
stashes lines of harmful computer code in a benign-looking
program, Interfax said. The report did not identify the hackers
or say if anyone had been apprehended.

Including the Gazprom case, police registered 852 cases of
computer crime in Russia in 1999, up twelve-fold from the year
before, the report said.