Re: [SLUG] RE: Mandrake 10

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 17:43:55 EDT

Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> On Sunday 02 May 2004 13:28, Steven Buehler wrote:
>
>>I have not tried dial-up in Linux because all of my modems are "winmodems"
>>that aren't compatible, and I have cable modem here in my home office. I
>>have tried dial-up via Bluetooth to my old cell phone.
>
> How did you get your cell phone to operate. That is another item far back on
> the agenda. I have it working in MS Windows.

I have my CDMA Samsung phone ($10/month 1xRTT Sprint) working with the
USB cable with my Linux laptop, but no bluetooth on that laptop (yet ;)
I'll need to get ahold of an adapter and give it a try.

My Mac OS/X laptop has both the Samsung phone via USB and a Nokia 3650
($29/month GPRS T-Mobile) via bluetooth working seemlessly (granted, it
took a bit of doing).

The latency on the GPRS/T-Mobile is actually *lower* than the 1xRTT on
Sprint (interactive ssh sessions are actually possible, if not laggy).
As for raw throughput, 1xRTT does appear much faster.

--
- Ian C. Blenke - Director of Service Delivery <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: