Re: [SLUG] RE: Mandrake 10

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 15:11:24 EDT

On Sunday 02 May 2004 13:28, Steven Buehler wrote:
> I have not tried dial-up in Linux because all of my modems are "winmodems"
> that aren't compatible, and I have cable modem here in my home office. I
> have tried dial-up via Bluetooth to my old cell phone.

How did you get your cell phone to operate. That is another item far back on
the agenda. I have it working in MS Windows.

I solved the Winmodem issue by installing a full pcia modem in my Thinkpad.

Also, twenty minutes ago I installed a Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse. It
took me 10 minutes and 3 reboots to make it work in MS Windows.
In Linux it just worked on booting - no configuration - no nothing - much
nicer - it simply worked.

> Korganizer, Kmail, Knode, and Kaddressbook have been integrated in Mandrake
> 10 into a complete suite called Kontact that follows a similar principle as
> Evolution, but you can still load each program individually if you choose.
> I keep my calendar as an Icalendar file out on a private web and keep it
> updated that way so I can use the same file from multiple computers.
> Korganizer also uses the ical format popular with the Macs so you get the
> same functionality as Mac's ical.

Normally I choose to do a custom installation which includes almost everything
but Apache. I do not have a server so I leave Apache out.

> If you're in Brandon for the SLUG meeting this Thursday I'll try and bring
> my Thinkpad, which has Win XP Pro & Mandrake 10 loaded, and we can try some
> stuff out. I'll just have to figure out how to tie the laptop bag down on
> the scooter (it's heavy to be riding from Lakeland to Brandon in a
> backpack). :-)

Thanks, but I live in Oldsmar now - extreme north of Tampa Bay - so going to
Brandon is a pain not including the fact that Thursday's night to go that far
is an impossibility so thanks for the offer but I am going to have to
decline.

> Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org
> Personal Home Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org
> AOL Instant Messenger: stevenbuehlerfl
> MSN Messenger: stevenwbuehler@msn.com
> Yahoo!: swbuehler | ICQ: 3565750
> IRC: "Triste" in EFnet (#Christian-Discussion)
> AT&T Wireless SMS: 18636027676@mobile.att.net
> Sanctuaryweb.org Web Sites:
> F.A.I.T.H. Riders of Lakeland: http://faithriders.sanctuaryweb.org
> United Marriage EncounterR of West Central Florida:
> http://ume.sanctuaryweb.org
> All email is scanned with Norton Antivirus and SpamAssassin. "Spam" will be
> summarily deleted unread.

Thanks
Frank