Re: [SLUG] Local Data Recovery -- !LINUX

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 12:18:36 EDT

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Brice Burgess wrote:

> A friend of mine (whom hasn't yet learned the virtue of data
> redundancy) has experienced a hard drive failure and is hoping to
> somehow recover the data from the drive.

I had a 60G hard drive start making "click ... click" noises. What I did
was get a 120G drive, and copy each partition into a huge file with "dd
if=/dev/hdcwhatever of=bigfile conv=noerror bs=1024", back it up, run
"losetup" on it, fsck it, mount it read-only, and copy the files off.
Got almost everything back that way.

> Perhaps someone from this list knows the skinny on this?

My mac's hard drive experienced stiction(?) maybe a decade ago, and I had
to send the drive to a firm in California who charged a grand. The
market's probably gotten better since then.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin