[SLUG] OT - But important

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 12:24:12 EDT

Hello Sluggers,

Here is a message sent me by my ISP. Hope you all know about this.
The story below under-estimates the impact.  The 14% tax is on top of
the
existing 6-7% sales tax and covers purchases of computer components,
maintenance, repair, etc.   The Florida Department of Revenue has
adopted
the somewhat tortured view that a computer switch is somehow the same
thing
as the telephone switches that Verizon has in those big buildings they
own.
They aren't really at all the same, but the Department of Revenue is
looking
to get into your wallet.

If you've got a computer switch, you will owe the tax on everything
computer
related you purchase.  Switches include the little D-Link or Linksys
routers
that most of our DSL customers use.

Put a baby-monitor cam in the baby's room and connect it to your
computer
via a switch and you will owe the tax.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2004/5/6/41268.html

Since the Florida House let a bill to stop this new tax from being
enforced,
the only one between this tax and you is the governor.  You may want to
email him at
jeb.bush@myflorida.com  and you probably want to call your state
legislators
and let them know you are unhappy with their performance this spring.

Letters to the editor of the Times and Tribune wouldn't hurt either.