Re: [SLUG] OT - But important

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 18:37:40 EDT

On Friday 07 May 2004 02:48 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 12:24:12PM -0400, Bob Stia wrote:
> > Hello Sluggers,
> >
> > Here is a message sent me by my ISP. Hope you all know about this.
<snip>

> > Since the Florida House let a bill to stop this new tax from being
> > enforced,
> > the only one between this tax and you is the governor.  You may want to
> > email him at
> > jeb.bush@myflorida.com  and you probably want to call your state
> > legislators
> > and let them know you are unhappy with their performance this spring.
> >
> > Letters to the editor of the Times and Tribune wouldn't hurt either.
>
> This isn't really off topic. It could potentially affect every one of
> us. It's been discussed a lot in the media, and the Florida legislature,
> for some inexplicable reason, failed to act on it. Despite the fact that
> there is broad support for plugging this loophole. I don't want to get
> too political, but it probably is worth a word or two to the people that
> can do something about it. It won't be taken up again until the
> legislature comes in session again-- I don't know when. But hopefully
> with enough static about it, they'll take it up quickly, before local
> revenue authorities have a chance to actually levy the taxes.
>
> Paul

When writing to your legislature it's important to be clear and concise.
They get ton's of communications and mostly only listen to things they
understand.

We also need to find the specific ID for that bill. Then preface the
email/fax with Re: Bill AB123. This way there's no confusion and takes
minimum efforts on their behalf (which is key).

Other things don't fit this bill either. F.ex. in the voice over ip (VoIP)
industry where we make phone calls over networks (like the Internet) the
federal government does not want to classify this new industry as part of
the phone industry as it will add their taxes which will slow down it's
growth. Yet it's the same computer equipment. So it's a matter of
labelling.

One of the things they (feds) recommended was to label this not as a phone
service but as a program. I don't have a router I have a firewall program.

- --
Steve

neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin