RE: [SLUG] Re: Linspire aka Lindows now trying to make Apple Mad?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 23:01:45 EDT

>>I wanted Coherent SOOOO bad but simply couldn't justify $500 for it when
Dos was free$.

At first, AT&T didn't think there was any money to be made in the OS
business, and allowed source code to be used an Universities IT courses.
UNIX was the only OS source any of us had ever seen, so it's design concepts
became the foundation of all of today's modern operating systems. But once
money started rolling in from UNIX, AT&T got greedy. Gates simply priced
DOS right and took the market. OEM versions of XP can be had for less than
$100, and that's pretty smart. Only NT (basis for w2k and xp) and Linux
have been able to grow in market share.

It will be interesting to see how Red Hat does with their attempt to move
Linux up to UNIX prices. Novell/SuSE will be interesting. It's good that
they are moving Linux up-market, but I believe its important to keep free
Linux alive. History clearly shows that UNIX grew at the expense of
mainframe systems, but the NT-family took it from UNIX and Netware. I
believe Linux is growing at the expense of both. But when UNIX started
growing fast, the major companies (HP, DEC, IBM, Sun, etc.) fought over
standards and forked (branched) the code. Moving between SunOS and HP-UX
was annoying. Just like Gnome/KDE. I hope this doesn't turn into another
code war.

I wish Apple would port their OS to AMD 64 and add .net extensions. That
would really change the game. Would any of you guys buy an AMD64 OS/X for
$500?

Ken Elliott