Re: [SLUG] Re: Linspire aka Lindows now trying to make Apple Mad?

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 02:35:08 EDT

Ken Elliott wrote:

>I wish Apple would port their OS to AMD 64 and add .net extensions. That
>would really change the game. Would any of you guys buy an AMD64 OS/X for
>$500?
>
>Ken Elliott

If I had it to spare . . . ? Hell, yes. I'm not so sure how I feel
about .net extensions. I mean, really -- who cares? Aren't there
better ways to produce interoperating software on the x86 platform (and
compatible architectures yet to come)?

RedHat seems to be going in two directions, and I have to applaud them
for that. On the one hand, they're going upscale with enterprise server
development -- something that hasn't really been seriously developed
with Linux before this -- as their main focus, and on the other they're
providing sort of a "safe zone" with moral support and all-open-source
code availability for their unofficial desktop distribution, Fedora.
The fact that I have not much liked the way they implement installation
and configuration in my past experience with RH desktop distributions
doesn't change the fact that they seem to be doing good work. As long
as they keep their commitment to supporting the concept of free (open
source) software, I wish them the best of luck, especially since their
investment in enterprise server solutions and official opposition to
bandit monopoly attempts like SCO Group is currency to buy a whole lot
of increasing attention and credibility for open source software.

If Novell gets their NetWare integration with Linux smoothed out
properly, they may well reclaim much of the business networking market
from NT. Total cost of ownership, in a properly run network, could
hardly be as expensive for a SuSE+NetWare solution as it is for a total
NT (these days, probably Server 2003 and XP Pro) solution. As long as
they don't get too greedy and start trying to leverage high licensing
rates out of SuSE and NetWare both, they should be okay. I'd hate to
see SuSE get turned into some kind of financial thumbscrew with pretty
colors on it like XP, since it really does have a lot to offer as an
alternative to other distributions of Linux. If nothing else, the YaST2
system and installer can be quite a boon for some users, and they really
seem to have a handle on automatic hardware detection.

--
Chad Perrin