Re: [SLUG] Fw: [SCAD] Hacker took over control of a Russian gas SCAD system?

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 09:28:09 EDT

> On Friday 07 May 2004 06:44 am, you wrote:
> > Like wise one should recall that immediately someone with little to
zero
> > expertise in terrorist matters, SCADA, and Russian affairs denounces
the
> > posting as a 10 Year CIA plot which sounds as smart to me as
denouncing the
> > little fiasco in New York as a figment of one imagination.

Regarding SCADA and other such things, here's a piece that is currently
available on the Jihad Watch website www.jihadwatch.org, a site devoted
to keeping track of what the jihadists want to do to us
-------------------------

Terrorists are using the Net to threaten nations'
electronic systems and infrastructures
 (Ofer Zemach, Jerusalem Post)

The Jerusalem Post with a round up of how jihadis
use cyberspace:

Attacks on electronic networks
Sabotage of physical infrastructures
Recruitment and propaganda

Islamic terrorists are winning the on-line war
against Western interests because of their virtually
unchecked ability to use the Internet to plan, promote,
and propagate both physical and cyber attacks.

Efforts to monitor, predict, and counter such attacks
are only in the earliest stages. Technical, legal,
privacy, and even political challenges are slowing
down what could be called cyber counterterrorism in
Israel and the US. Private groups have done much of
what little successful monitoring has been done so
far, as government efforts, particularly in the US,
have been hampered by civil liberties concerns.

While no major terror attacks have yet been carried
out on or through the Internet, the sophistication
of attacks is increasing and test runs for major
disruptions have occurred.

These efforts go far beyond spamming people mercilessly
and trying to recruit over the web.

The Washington Post reported in 2002 that US
intelligence services had monitored al-Qaida terrorists
snooping around in the computer systems of dams, power
plants, and other facilities.

Three recent power outages within a week at Los Angeles
International Airport have raised some concerns. One of
the power outages affected 100 flights and caused two
planes to fly within six kilometers of each other,
closer than US regulations allow. Two of the outages
were attributed to birds landing on power lines, and
a malfunctioning transformer apparently caused the
third.

I hope al-Qaida isn't training birds.

[end]