{SPAM?} RE: [SLUG] Fw: [SCAD] Hacker took over control of a Russian gas SCAD system?

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 10:35:52 EDT

I was a little "scarda" over the SCADA stuff. Did some research.
"Frontline" had a an interesting transcript regarding this subject
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cyberwar/etc/script.html (an
interesting read) stating that our power grid could be down for as long as 6
months. I contacted a friend who works with systems such as these as a
technician. His response... "Just another Y2k scare. The old manual way is
still there. A good example is last year when Ohio and Illinois dropped the
transmition lines the time it took to get it all back up was in cooling down
the generators and turbines, getting them back up to speed and introducing
the load back to the in amounts which they could handle. Six months is a
bunch of hooey."
Pete