Re: [SLUG] Re: Linspire aka Lindows now trying to make Apple Mad?

From: Max F Lang (mflang@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 11:36:37 EDT

On Friday 07 May 2004 22:23, Bill Canaday wrote:
> Excellent archives, Ken! I wanted Coherent SOOOO bad but simply
> couldn't justify $500 for it when Dos was free$.

About a year before MWC went completely out of business, they sent
me (and I'd guess many others) an offer for the base Coherent for
$99, and "for a limited time only" also threw in X and some other
goodies. Damned x-wifey wouldn't let me spend the money (damn her!)
to buy it. It just seemed like such a good deal, as Linux and the
BSDs at the time weren't quite as complete as they are now. And the
included documentation was plain superior to anything else being
printed then, O'Reilly not withstanding or as cheap.
Every once in a while on comp.os.coherent, someone will link to one
site or another with diskette images of the last complete Coherent.
I've gotten a couple of such diskette sets and installed them on
older systems, but there's a lot missing now from the system to be
much more than historical interest. ISA only, ancient X, 2G disk
limit, limited drivers, serious porting issues...

Max, who just admitted to being a Coherent warez d00d...