RE: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Re: Linspire aka Lindows now trying to make Apple Mad?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 19:49:05 EDT

 Paul >> "Windows" != "window managers"
 Robert >> See my point exactly.... But I was reminded of something....
X-Windows uses the names Windows in there name but you dont see Microsoft
all over them.

I guess I don't know enough about trademark law to really know. I'm just
saying it's odd for Microsoft to be able to trademark such a term that was
clearly generic as far as software was concerned. Windows wasn't an OS at
the time, since it sat on top of DOS. I figured since it was what was
commonly called a "window manager" they shouldn't be able to get a judgment
on it. X-Windows is another funny one... But what do I know...

Here another odd one: from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97064,00.html

"When Apple Computers first came into existence, the Beatles' lawyers sued
-- and won -- over the use of the corporate name. The Fab Four, it was
widely known, already had their own company called Apple Corps"

I submit to the more knowledgeable of the group. It's beyond my little
brain...

Ken Elliott
1832 Lombardy Dr.
Clearwater FL 33755