{SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Re: Linspire aka Lindows now trying to make Apple Mad?

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 19:15:48 EDT

> "Windows" != "window managers". Yes, "window" and "window manager" are
> generic terms. But "Windows" as a trademark owned by Microsoft to
> designate a "graphical user interface based operation system for desktop
> computers" is not generic. It sounds like you're trying to make the case
> that Microsoft used this idea of a "window" or "window manager" in
> coming up with the name "Windows" for their OS. Perhaps. But I can't
> hold that against them. Were I in their position, I would likely have
> done the same thing. It's a good marketing/business move. But if you
> truly think it's just a generic term, you're welcome to test the waters
> as Lindows did. Maybe you'll have better luck. ;-}
>
> Paul

See my point exactly.... But I was reminded of something.... X-Windows uses
the names Windows in there name but you dont see Microsoft all over
them.....

There are plently of other software I have seen around wht net with the word
Windows for the program name describing usually some type of themeable hack
for some operating system. You dont see MS afterthem. Why Because not the
first one isan Operating System... But I know the minute I make
Rob'sWindows 2004 that MS would be all over me.rightfully show.

Next thing you will try and tell me is that the word Xbox is a common word
and that people should have open range of the following words to desribe
products..

Xbox
Visual Basic
Excel
Word
Powerpoint
Frontpage
NT
Pentium
Athlon
Panther - Apple trade mark
Jaguar - Another apple trade mark. Yes I know it seems stupid but the US
government allowed it.

Just like you just cant try tossing the word Unix around... Apple tried that
and got into trouble.