Re: [SLUG] Re: Linspire aka Lindows now trying to make Apple Mad?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 18:09:05 EDT

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 09:55:19PM -0400, Ken Elliott wrote:

> >>I've heard it said that "Windows" as Microsoft uses the term has become a
> generic term.
>
> "Has become"? Ummm.... I think I disagree. The term "windows" was a generic
> term BEFORE MS Windows was on the market, not after.
>
> My tiny brain easily forgets things, so I pulled out a 1984 copy of Byte's
> "Guide to the IBM PC". Byte published an article titled "Five window
> managers for the IBM PC" (Digital Research's GEM, IBM's TopView,
> WindowMaster, DesQ, and VisiOn). Some of these products were two years old,
> and MS Windows was not yet shipping. There are ads all over the magazine
> for software to create windows. Clearly windows was generic and Microsoft
> hijacked the term.

"Windows" != "window managers". Yes, "window" and "window manager" are
generic terms. But "Windows" as a trademark owned by Microsoft to
designate a "graphical user interface based operation system for desktop
computers" is not generic. It sounds like you're trying to make the case
that Microsoft used this idea of a "window" or "window manager" in
coming up with the name "Windows" for their OS. Perhaps. But I can't
hold that against them. Were I in their position, I would likely have
done the same thing. It's a good marketing/business move. But if you
truly think it's just a generic term, you're welcome to test the waters
as Lindows did. Maybe you'll have better luck. ;-}

Paul