RE: [SLUG] Re: Linspire aka Lindows now trying to make Apple Mad?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 21:55:19 EDT

>>I've heard it said that "Windows" as Microsoft uses the term has become a
generic term.

"Has become"? Ummm.... I think I disagree. The term "windows" was a generic
term BEFORE MS Windows was on the market, not after.

My tiny brain easily forgets things, so I pulled out a 1984 copy of Byte's
"Guide to the IBM PC". Byte published an article titled "Five window
managers for the IBM PC" (Digital Research's GEM, IBM's TopView,
WindowMaster, DesQ, and VisiOn). Some of these products were two years old,
and MS Windows was not yet shipping. There are ads all over the magazine
for software to create windows. Clearly windows was generic and Microsoft
hijacked the term.

But more in line with this list, there's an article called "UNIX on the
IBM". It talks about running Unix on a 4.77 MHz 256KB PC.

Byte: "Currently, four Bell-licensed UNIX systems are available for the PC:
PC/IX (implemented by Interactive Systems and sold by IBM), XENIX
(implemented by Microsoft and sold by Santa Cruz Operation)..."

Yep, it was Microsoft who developed XENIX, long before Windows, OS/2 or NT.
And it shows a long relationship with SCO on UNIX issues. It also mentions
there were four UNIX-clones available, and it was just a matter of time
before UNIX took over from DOS. Funny stuff in today's terms.

Xenix was selling for $595/seat mail-order. Coherent (a UNIX clone) was
$500. A Lattice C compiler was $350. A 40 MB HDD was $3,495, and a 368 MB
hard disk was $$17,995. You usually spent $5,000 to $15,000 for a
well-equipped machine in those days. We all have it so good today.

(Hi, I'm Ken and I'm a pack rat...)

Ken Elliott