Re: [SLUG] Re: Linspire aka Lindows now trying to make Apple Mad?

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 15:35:05 EDT

Ken Elliott wrote:

>Chad >> I'm not so sure how I feel about .net extensions. I mean, really --
>who cares? Aren't there better ways to produce interoperating software on
>the x86 platform (and compatible architectures yet to come)?
>
>Yes, I'm sure there are. I'd like to see .NET for one reason - MS is using
>.NET to make their apps portable across all system, regardless of OS. Long
>ago, there was a system called the P-Code system (UCSD). You compiled your
>code to "pseudo-code", and any system (UNIX, DOS, Apple, CP/M) with a P-Code
>interpreter could run the app. Great idea, but it ran too slow, so it
>didn't catch on. MS .NET is the same basic idea - it compiles to a generic
>machine language (CLR - Common Language Runtime), and will run on any OS
>with a interpreter and .NET libraries. This is a brilliant move, in my
>opinion. History has shown that every dominating OS has lost when
>technology made a big enough leap. The Mac almost did that, except Apple
>blew the intro. Gates learned from that. He realizes they could lose the
>OS war any day. Imagine if Sony suddenly comes out with a 128 bit chip with
>8GB of on-die RAM running Linux for $400. It would take Intel/AMD at least
>a year or two to match it, at least as long for MS to port their apps. But
>Linux guys would move much faster, and that's the danger MS has with Linux.
>But with .NET, all MS has to do is port the interpreter and libraries to the
>new system an all off-the-shelf .NET apps would run unchanged.
>
>So, when Linux has .NET aboard, we will have access to all the MS apps.
>That will let Linux move to the corporate desktop. It's a double-edge sword
>for MS, but owning the development environment is more important for them
>then owning the OS in the long run. They are willing to lose the $50 OEM OS
>license to keep the $400-$800 application income. What we gain is the
>option to use either MS or non-MS development tools.
>
>Wouldn't you like to run a Sun Linux, a Sony 128, AMD 64 and any exotic
>machine with Linux AND run all your Linux apps and MS apps? I'm tired of
>keeping both a Linux PC and a W2K PC for PhotoShop/Adobe
>Illustrator/Dreamweaver/AutoCAD/SolidWorks/MS
>Office/VisualStudio/Rhino/Cakewalk/Pinnacle Studio. I'd like to be
>hardware-independent and OS-independent, and that's where I think/hope this
>is heading.

I guess I'm still holding out hope for an open source alternative. I'm
doing my best to vote with my wallet where Microsoft is concerned, and
they've given me plenty of reason to spend money anywhere but on their
products. An example:

http://www.apotheon.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1084042699&ucat=3&category=3

It's a frightening world where corporate interests hold the power to
shape legislation.

--
Chad Perrin