Re: [SLUG] mplayer and symbols in file name

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 19:45:25 EDT

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Chad Perrin wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
> >>mplayer $song
> >>
> >>Note the 'export' and the lack of quotes around $song.
> >
> >Also the lack of $ . Is it necessary that there be no quotes?
>
> I don't know a whole lot about shell scripts, but I know that in some
> scripting and programming languages placing a variable in double-quotes
> will cause the script/program to treat it as a string rather than a
> variable name. Is that the case in bash?

No. If you type

/bin/foo 1 2

foo gets two arguments, '1' and '2'. You get the same invocation as if
you had typed

/bin/foo "1" "2"

It's up to /bin/foo whether to treat them as 0x01 and 0x02 or ASCII 0x32
and 0x33. If you type

/bin/foo "1 2"

foo gets one argument, '1 2'. All this is based on what interprets your
typing, but this is usually how it's done.

SAGITTARIUS:  All your friends are laughing behind your back... kill
them.  Take down all those naked pictures of Ernest Borgnine you've got
hanging in your den.  -- Weird Al, _Your Horoscope for Today_