Re: [SLUG] BIND and DHCP

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 01:43:03 EDT

On Monday 17 May 2004 12:21 am, Paul M Foster wrote:
> In looking over a tutorial on DNS/BIND, it appears that you have to have
> IP numbers in the file to specify machines. If you're using DHCP, these
> number-machine correspondences can change over time. So if you're
> running DHCP, does that mean that when numbers change, you need to
> rewrite BIND config files and restart BIND? (All this is in the context
> of running a DNS server for a LAN, which is continuously connected to
> the internet.)
>
> Paul

Interesting question.

The idea is that bind is The Authority on that domain. So it needs to know,
if anybody, what is going on. True, you could just have everything run
off /etc/hosts, but that would not be a clean setup and would actually
break the web standard.

If you have configured your LAN to f.ex. 192.168.0.0 and change to 10.1.2.0
you need to update your zone files (don't forget reverse dns) so it knows.
Also update your serial number.

ndc restart should restart bind.

Now, if you mean that dns needs to know which machine has what ip, no.
It needs to know which particular name matches which particular ip. You can
change ip from DHCP all day long and not worry about it.

Just assign some naming convention like abc01, abc02... to each machine and
hand it out with the ip.

The thing I dislike about DHCP is that I have no prediction, no fast and
easy way of knowing what machine I'm looking at if I see some traffic. I
cannot say Oh, that's Sue using ftp, and she does no know how to use it so
something is wrong. I have to add that extra time of looking it up. Which
can be a pain when you try to see what is going on on the network.

With fixed ip's you can easily see if an ip is showing up someplace if it
belongs there and so on. Even if I had a 100 machines I would not use DHCP.
True I would save some time setting it up but from that point forward it's
a drag if I quickly need to be able to make snap decisions or view a lot of
data.

I usually break up ip's so that if some section needs to be subnetted off
it's easy to do. F.ex. all accounting machines is on one range. Sales
people on another...

Did that answer your question or did I not understand it?

- --
Steve

neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin