Re: {SPAM?} Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Emulators: QEMU, PearPC

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 11:57:23 EDT

Robert Snyder wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
>
>> Ian Blenke wrote:
>>

>>> Sheepshaver and Basilisk II work well if you need a 680x0 emulated arch.
>>

>> something I've been wondering for some time now:
>> How does one pronounce "680x0" when speaking verbally about Macs?
>>
> Simple you dont pronounce it 680x0, people call them by apple naming
> standard for the series that use those motorolla processors as 68k
> macs. Now inside the world of 68k macs and you are talking about it,
> you refer to the processor by the last 3 020 030 040 (No there was
> never a 68060 based mac though there was rare upgrade card that had a
> 100 mhz 060 processor.) But that can undershadowed by the ppc upgrade
> cards for some 68k macs.
>
> you pronounce it the followin "Sixty-Eight-K"
>

> And a correction SheepShaver was the first PowerPC emulation for x86
> processors out. Sheepshaver is not a 68k emulator but a ppc one with a
> sub 68k engine just like all good little Motorolla ppc cpus.

Really! I was confusing ShapeShifer on the Amiga with SheepShaver. The
former allowed mere 68k Mac emulation on a 68k Amiga.

I'll be damned, they are PPC emulators, albeit legacy.

> PearPC while amazing will never run OS 9 or run any classic
> applications because there core is completely devoid the the 68k
> subsystems that are emebed in to the Motorolla line ( that tie into Mac
> OS Tool kit which is part of the Mac OS Rom (Mac bios)

Oh! New world Macs use a Mac OS ROM "file", instead of a physical ROM -
I don't see why PearPC couldn't use this same setup if they could fix
whatever 68k subsystems you mention.

The PowerPC world is still rather new to me (since November)... I'm a
long time x86 arch person with various Unix arch exposure (Sparc would
be a close second).

--
- Ian C. Blenke - Director of Service Delivery <icblenke@nks.net>
(This message bound by the following: