{SPAM?} Re: {SPAM?} Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] Emulators: QEMU, PearPC

From: Robert Snyder (res03q8w@gte.net)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 13:30:57 EDT

Really! I was confusing ShapeShifer on the Amiga with SheepShaver. The
former allowed mere 68k Mac emulation on a 68k Amiga.

> I'll be damned, they are PPC emulators, albeit legacy.

To try and clear everything up
ShapeShifer - Orginal Amiga 68k mac emulator by Christian Beuar -
Microcode solutions claimed he was stealing code from Fusion product
some how.
Basilisk II - 68k emulation on the pc - then ported over to
ppc/sparc/amiga/beos/ platforms
SheepShaver - Orginally a Virtual Enviroment that allowed BeBoxes aand
Macs to run Mac OS while running Beos.
SheepShaverx86( as I call it but the name is still sheepshaver still in
the same cvs tree) First PPC emulation on X86 platform. allowing to
run OS 8.5 and 8.6 with out any problems OS 9 support comming soon. (
slight problem with how the machine acesses the new world rom.)

>> PearPC while amazing will never run OS 9 or run any classic
>> applications because there core is completely devoid the the 68k
>> subsystems that are emebed in to the Motorolla line ( that tie into
>> Mac OS Tool kit which is part of the Mac OS Rom (Mac bios)
>

> Oh! New world Macs use a Mac OS ROM "file", instead of a physical ROM
> - I don't see why PearPC couldn't use this same setup if they could
> fix whatever 68k subsystems you mention.
>
> The PowerPC world is still rather new to me (since November)... I'm a
> long time x86 arch person with various Unix arch exposure (Sparc would
> be a close second).

PearPC while great does not need to bog it self down with trying to add
an extra layer of bs on top of a complicated system already. Right now
OSX does not use the New world Roms that are found on disc basicly new
world roms are for machines that no longer use the Rom it self any more
to boot but OpenFirmware. OSX does not need the mac os tool kit that
was in the rom // romfile it handles everything from openfirmware.
Basicly I would just say let Pear PC handle OSX and Sheepshaver to
handle Classic Mac OS. The programer behind making sheepshaver work on
teh x86 platform is trying to finish up some things with sheep shaver
and then head over and help out pear pc people any way he can.