[SLUG] shares on samba

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 12:02:26 EDT

I'm running into a bit of an issue with a samba share.

I have a directory called "commons" shared through samba. Within it is a directory calld "Data". The smb.conf entry for the "commons" directory is as follows:

[commons]
        comment = common files directory
        path = /mnt/commons
        create mode = 777
        directory mode = 777
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes

I have global share "security" set to "user" and have "map to guest" set to "never". I have mapped a drive Q: to the commons share on the relevant Windows machines so that Q: can be used to set paths for program operations.

So. I can access the directory, deposit files in it, and so on all I like from any machine on the network under any of the allowed user accounts. This works in Windows Explorer on Windows, since none of the desktops from which this directory is being accessed are Linux boxen.

Now the problem arises. There's a multi-user contact management program being used on the network -- or soon to be used, assuming I can solve this problem. The program writes new files to the data directory that have to be universally accessible, but every time it writes said files it creates them with 755 permissions, despite the create mode and directory mode settings shown above. Also, if I create a simple text file and save it to the main commons directory, or if I move a file to it, said file also has 755 permissions. In other words, the create mode setting doesn't seem to be doing a darned thing.

I need to figure out how to make files created in and/or moved to the commons directory and subdirectories inherit 777 permissions -- or, more to the point, a preset default permissions mode so that I can change it to 770 later if I so desire and create a user group specifically for that directory.

What am I doing wrong?