RE: [SLUG] shares on samba

From: backwardthinker@juno.com
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 19:24:26 EDT

> Does anybody know how to get this done in scp?

<snip>

> Ideally I would like to set permissions on the
> directory and have any files copied into it assume
> the permissions of the directory instead of retaining
> the permissions of the user.

Probably the easiest thing, which is not exactly what you
asked for, is to make both users a member of the same default
group (and make sure umask doesn't disable group write on file
creation).

You could also try suid and sgid bits on the directory, like the
sticky bit, but 2 (group) or 4 (user) instead of 1 (other).
On some systems it will cause files written to the directory
to be owned by the uid and gid of the directory.

But the "real" way to do what you asked is with file acl's,
specifically a Default ACL on the directory. Your
kernel/filesystem will need to support ACL's (most distros
within the last few years do), and you will need to specify
acl as a mount option for the filesystem. From there, man
setfacl and getfacl, but long story short you'll want
something like:
setfacl -m default:group:(groupname):rwx (directoryname)
but with some other stuff in there too.

ACL's can add some complexity to administration, but that's
mostly because it's not as simplistic as classic ugo-style
permissions. Simplicity of ugo is great, until you need
more :(.

~ Daniel

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!