Re: [SLUG] shares on samba

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 19:27:40 EDT

Spake Stephen Ames on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 at 06:43PM -0400:
> Does anybody know how to get this done in scp? I have a web server where
> different users copy files with scp from their MS XP machines to the web
> server. The server assigns the files -rw-r--r-- permissions and makes the
> user the owner as well as the group. (make sense?) So when another user
> comes along, they can't manipulate the files and I have to chmod and chgroup
> it to fix the ownership and the permissions. This only lasts so long until
> more changes are made. Ideally I would like to set permissions on the
> directory and have any files copied into it assume the permissions of the
> directory instead of retaining the permissions of the user.
>
> I hope I explained that well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Looks like you want the group sticky bit.

chmod g+s $dir will make all files created in $dir
will belong to the same group as $dir.

What does scp have to do with samba in this case? I'm a little
confused as to weather you're using scp or samba... or both...

--
Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink
that they may live.