[SLUG] ntp, xntp help

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 18:32:31 EDT

I'm trying to set up and use the network time protocol for my machines
due to logs not being accurate in time. there are no man pages and the
online html docs don't give good examples in what I've read so far. I
know that you don't want all your local subnet boxes connecting to a
stratum 1 server due to the overload these servers would receive. so
I'm trying to follow the instructions but am getting lost on how to
configure a local ntp server that only polls the stratum 1 or stratum 2
server itself and then rebroadcasts to the local net/subnet. I can get
the server to poll and adjust time by listing the stratum 1 server in
the ntp.conf file, but the ntp.conf file is missing something on the
server side to allow clients to connect. and I'm not even sure how to
configure the local net/subnet clients ntp.conf. again, no good
examples that I could see in the docs of different .conf setups.
anybody know how to set this up?? if there were grandfather clocks
attached to all these machines they'd be going off all day long at
different times!! :^) thanks in advance!!

Mike Branda