Re: [SLUG] ntp, xntp help

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 22:26:48 EDT

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 06:32:31PM -0400, Mike Branda wrote:

> I'm trying to set up and use the network time protocol for my machines
> due to logs not being accurate in time. there are no man pages and the
> online html docs don't give good examples in what I've read so far. I
> know that you don't want all your local subnet boxes connecting to a
> stratum 1 server due to the overload these servers would receive. so
> I'm trying to follow the instructions but am getting lost on how to
> configure a local ntp server that only polls the stratum 1 or stratum 2
> server itself and then rebroadcasts to the local net/subnet. I can get
> the server to poll and adjust time by listing the stratum 1 server in
> the ntp.conf file, but the ntp.conf file is missing something on the
> server side to allow clients to connect. and I'm not even sure how to
> configure the local net/subnet clients ntp.conf. again, no good
> examples that I could see in the docs of different .conf setups.
> anybody know how to set this up?? if there were grandfather clocks
> attached to all these machines they'd be going off all day long at
> different times!! :^) thanks in advance!!

I'm not an expert, but what I do is this: I have a central machine that
pings the stratum 2 servers (NOT stratus 1). I just set up which time
server to check in the /etc/ntp.conf file. Then for other machines, I
run ntpdate once a day from a cron job to sync them all up to that
machine. They don't really need to be more accurate than that in my
case.

My /etc/ntp.conf (on the server) looks like this (mostly):

server clock1.unc.edu

My /etc/cron.daily/timesync file (on client machines) looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/sbin/ntpdate rocky.mars.lan
/sbin/hwclock --systohc

The last line syncs the hardware clock to the OS clock.

Paul